Medical Cannabis Service Available to Connect Louisiana Patients with Doctors and Dispensaries
Louisiana has a medical marijuana program responsible for licensing and overseeing the production of medical marijuana. They ensure that medical marijuana products being sold to patients are safe and legal.
Then a medical marijuana service makes sure that these products can be accessed by patients who are found eligible by licensed and certified cannabis doctors to use medical marijuana.
Is Medical Marijuana Legal in Louisiana?
Yes. Medical marijuana is available for patients to purchase if they are qualified and given a medical certificate by a licensed doctor.
It can only be purchased at state-approved dispensaries.
Legislation History of Medical Marijuana in Louisiana
- 1991 — Act No.874 legalized medical marijuana in the Louisiana legislative session. The word “prescribe” was used, and there were no allowances for dispensing, selling or possessing medical marijuana.
- SB No, 541 — qualifying conditions were adjusted and the Department of Health and Hospitals was called to oversee the Therapeutic Marijuana Utilization Board. They facilitated the licensing of doctors, producers, and pharmacies.
- 2016 — Louisiana was the first state in the Deep South to create a comprehensive medical cannabis program. Physicians can only recommend medical cannabis to a patient.
- SB 271 — medical marijuana was mandated to be provided in processed and non-smokable forms. They can only be distributed through up to 10 pharmacies.
- 2018 — the qualifying conditions for medical marijuana were expanded, LSU and Southern University were asked to conduct research on the medicinal value of marijuana, 100 patients is the maximum number that could be treated by licensed doctors under the state’s medical marijuana program.
- 2020 — three new laws relevant to the medical marijuana program are passed:
- HB 211 — protects banks and physicians.
- HB 418 — protects hospitals from state marijuana-related prosecution.
- HB 819 — expanded the list of qualifying conditions, allowing physicians to recommend marijuana for any debilitating condition they are qualified to treat as long as they know the patient will benefit from the medication.
Regulation Authority in Louisiana for Medical Marijuana
There are three recognized authorities in Louisiana that govern the legal processing, handling, and selling of medical marijuana.
They oversee the state’s medical marijuana program for physicians. They make sure that physicians who qualify patients to use medical marijuana and give a medical marijuana recommendation are licensed and trained.
They oversee regulations that govern the cultivation, processing, and testing of cannabis.
They are responsible for licensing dispensaries, determining allowable forms of cannabis, and developing testing rules.
Medical Marijuana Service
The medical marijuana service establishes a connection between patients and doctors who are willing, able, licensed, and trained to recommend medical marijuana.
It is an organization that plays a great role in taking to a wider set of patients the benefits of medical marijuana.
Here’s what you can expect from a medical marijuana service in Louisiana:
1. They provide specialist care for people suffering from debilitating and chronic conditions that qualify for the use of medical marijuana.
In Louisiana, these medical conditions include:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Huntington’s disease
- Lewy body dementia
- Motor neuron disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome
- Seizure disorders
- Severe muscle spasms
- Intractable pain
- Crohn’s disease
- Muscular dystrophy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Conditions associated with autism spectrum disorder
- Traumatic brain injury
- A concussion diagnosed by a physician
- Chronic pain associated with fibromyalgia
- Chronic pain associated with sickle cell disease
- Any condition for which a patient is receiving hospice or palliative care
- Any condition not otherwise specified above but has been found by a physician to be debilitating to the patient and is qualified through his medical education and training to treat with medical marijuana.
2. They connect patients who are considering medical marijuana as medication to physicians who are licensed by and in good standing with the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners to practice medicine in Louisiana and who may recommend medical marijuana.
3. They connect patients to pharmacies appointed by the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy to distribute medical cannabis products as prescribed by a licensed physician.
There are currently 9 licensed pharmacies in Louisiana appointed by the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy. These are:
- H&W Drug Store, Inc.
- Capitol Wellness Solutions, LLC
- Green Leaf Dispensary, LLC
- The Apothecary Shoppe, LLC
- Medicis, LLC
- The Medicine Cabinet Pharmacy, LLC
- Hope Pharmacy, LLC
- Delta Medmar, LLC
- Willow Pharmacy, LLC
4. They help process a medical marijuana card for qualifying patients by connecting them with the most trusted doctors so that they can get access to medical marijuana products from their dispensary of choice. Telemedicine sites such as TeleLeaf have provided a more convenient way to apply for a medical marijuana card where patients don’t need to leave their homes.
The process usually takes the following steps:
- Filling out an intake form online
- Meeting with a doctor through a video or phone consultation where the patient can discuss the medical condition and the symptoms being experienced
- Getting approval where the doctor’s recommendation will be sent to the patient’s dispensary of choice
- Patients can get access to medical marijuana products
- Initial consultation with a licensed pharmacist from the dispensary. The pharmacist will provide another review of available medical marijuana products, assist with product selection, and recommend dosing protocols.
5. They provide a safe platform that should be HIPAA-compliant so that patients’ information and transaction details will remain securely stored.
6. They offer a support line for patients who may not be ready to talk to a cannabis-trained doctor about their medical condition but have questions regarding the use of medical marijuana.
Allowable Forms of Medical Marijuana Products in Louisiana
The allowed forms specified by the Board of Pharmacy in Louisiana are:
- Oils, extracts, tinctures, or sprays
- Solid oral dosage forms like capsules or pills
- Liquid oral dosage forms like solutions or suspensions
- Gelatin-based chewables
- Topical applications, oils, or lotions
- Transdermal patches
Get in Touch With a Trusted Medical Marijuana Service in Louisiana
A medical marijuana service can be your first step toward treatment for your condition. You can get tailored advice from specialist clinicians directly from your home.
These specialists will help you understand your options and determine the medical marijuana care plan that will be best for you.
TeleLeaf is a premier access platform to medical marijuana that connects patients in need with qualified doctors. We’re focused on the patient experience.
Our licensed doctors share the conviction in the use of cannabis to assist their patients to ensure happier, healthier, and more productive lives. Contact us for more information.