Understanding Louisiana’s Medical Marijuana Program in Less than 2 Minutes
Current Louisiana Law
- Louisiana Law allows for any condition considered debilitating to an individual to be treated with medical marijuana (cannabis).
- A debilitating condition is defined as a disease or condition making someone weak or infirm, and/or tending to weaken something, i.e. ‘debilitating back pain, etc.’
- Any licensed Louisiana doctor can provide access to medical marijuana by electronically submitting a ‘Referral Form’ for the patient to the Pharmacy/Dispensary of their choice.
- There are currently 9 licensed pharmacies supplied by 2 licensed pharmaceutical-grade, cultivation and processing facilities in the state.
The Recommendation Process Explained
- The patient identifies a debilitating condition that legally qualifies the patient to access Louisiana’s medical marijuana program
- Any Louisiana licensed doctor evaluates the patient’s condition to determine or verify the condition
- Doctor electronically submits a ‘Patient Referral’ form to the pharmacy/dispensary of your choice (generally based on location)
- Patient in need gains immediate access to consult with the licensed MMJ pharmacist and select the best products and consumption method(s)
- The ‘Recommendation’ qualifies the patient for access up to 12 months unless specified
Legal Medical Marijuana Products and Consumption Methods
- Inhalation – Metered-Dose Inhalers/Vaporization (Various Strains/Cultivars)
- Edibles – Gelatin Gummies (Various strengths)
- Oral – Tinctures, FECO Variant (Full-Extract Cannabis Oil)
- Topicals – Topical Lotions (Various Strengths)
Location of Louisiana’s Licensed Medical Marijuana Pharmacies/Dispensaries
- New Orleans – H&W Pharmacy
- Madisonville – Willow Pharmacy
- Baton Rouge – Capitol Wellness
Call us now to know more!
More from TeleLeaf
TeleLeaf is a premier access platform to medical marijuana that connects patients in need with qualified doctors. We’re focused on the patient experience.
Our licensed doctors share the conviction in the use of cannabis to assist their patients to ensure happier, healthier, and more productive lives.
- Houma – Green Leaf Dispensary
- Lake Charles – Medicis, LLC
- Shreveport – Hope Pharmacy
- Lafayette – The Apothecary
- Alexandria – The Medicine Cabinet Pharmacy
- West Monroe – Delta Medmar, LLC